Episode Six: Show Notes
In 2013 (the last year measured by Gallup), the average American slept 6.8 hours a night—with the 40 percent getting less than that labelled as “short sleepers.”
According to Fitbit sleep data, Americans in their 40s and early 50s get the least amount of sleep.
- Sleep experts say until we start sleeping more, we’re sitting ducks for depression, ADHD, obesity, Type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, cancer, and Alzheimer’s.
- The CDC declared in 2014 sleep deprivation qualified as a public health epidemic—over 70 million adults estimated to have some form of sleep disorder.
- Consumers are spending billions on sleep aids $41 billion at last count in 2015, a figure they predict could rise to over $50 billion this year!
- Sleep disruptors:
- Hormone imbalances: (low progesterone, high cortisol stress hormones)
- Drop in melatonin >40
- Shift work
- Blue light from computer screens, cell phone
- Obesity/sleep apnea
Sleep Prep Options:
- Dim the lights
- Nighttime snacks: protein, turkey, nuts, spinach (avoid sweets and spicy foods)
- The 4-7-8 breathing technique
- Epsom salt warm bath
- Candlelight yoga
- Empty your mind/worry notebook
- Cool dark bedroom, no TV/cellphones
- Sleep mask
- White noise machine (DOHM)
- Turn off electronic screens 1-2 hours before bed (or buy blue light blockers)
Favorite Sleep quotes:
“A well spent day brings happy sleep”
– Leonardo da Vinci
“It is a common experience that a problem difficult at night is resolved in the morning after the committee of sleep has worked on it.”
– John Steinbeck
“A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.”
“Man should forget his anger before he lies down to sleep.”
“Early to bed and early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise.”
“Sleep is the golden chain that ties health and our bodies together.”
“Your future depends on your dreams so go to sleep.”
– Mesut Barazany
“No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap.”
- Winston Churchill
- John F. Kennedy
- Dalai Lama
- Thomas Edison
- Lyndon B. Johnson
- Stonewall Jackson
- Margaret Thatcher
Safe natural nocturnal sleep aids:
- Melatonin 0.5 to 1mg an hour before bed
Note: re: Covid-19: higher amounts may protect against the corona virus
- Progesterone cream promotes sleep (if testing show low levels)
- CALM magnesium drink at bed time
- Tryptophan/5HTP as precursors to Melatonin
(Reference protocol: The Mood Cure, by Julia Ross)
- Vitamin D3 for increased sleep duration
- Calcium/Magnesium: calming minerals
- Omega 3’s – Central nervous system protection
- Herbs: Valerian root: Formula 303
- “Adrena Soothe” tincture (I-Herb)
- Homeopathic: Calms Forte
- Bach Flower Remedies: Rescue Remedy and Rescue Night
Good sleep reads:
The Mood Cure, Julia Ross, M.A.
The Adrenal Thyroid Revolution, Aviva Romm, M.D.
The Hormone Cure, Sara Gottfried, M.D.
Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker, Ph.D.
The Sleep Revolution, Ariana Huffington