Episode Seventeen: From breast cancer awareness to breast cancer prevention—what you need to know
Candace and Kyle get another chance to talk with our favorite mentor, expert and guru on hormones and hormone testing, Dr. David Zava, Ph.D., CEO and founder of ZRT Laboratory, one of the foremost hormone testing labs in the US and globally.
A biochemist by trade and a teacher at heart, Dr. Zava started out as a breast cancer researcher involved in international clinical trials looking into the development of breast cancers genetics and epigenetics of breast cancers.
This is yet another challenging listen in which Dr. Zava shares his breast cancer research, as well as cutting-edge science and information women can use to prevent the hormone imbalances that put us at risk for breast cancer and what we can do to prevent a breast cancer or its recurrence.
Here are some of the issues and answers we cover in this episode:
- Hidden hormone imbalances and risks for breast cancer
- What do these things have to do with breast cancer?
– heavy metals/ environmental toxins
– poor diet/insulin resistance
– being continually stressed out/ too much Cortisol
– not sleeping well/lack of Melatonin
- How Environmental Chemical Carcinogens like heavy metals and xenoestrogens increase our risks for breast cancer
- How testing our hormones can alert us to hormonal risks for breast cancer.
- Why estrogen is called “the Angel of Life” and “the Angel of Death”
- How the buildup of estrogen increases risk of breast cancer (BC) and how supplementing with progesterone can reduce our risk significantly
- When good estrogens go bad – if they go down the wrong pathways to damage DNA and lead to a BC
- Genetics vs. Epigenetics – which is more of a risk for BC?
- The importance of cruciferous vegetables, DIM, Indole 3 carbuncle assist the proper metabolism of estrogens
- Obesity and the insulin connection to breast cancer
- Women, wine and breast cancer here and in Europe
- Dr. Z’s suggested breast protective supplements and lifestyle changes …and so much more…
We are privileged to have Dr. Zava share his formidable knowledge about breast cancer to help women move from awareness to action and prevent a breast cancer that may be waiting to happen.
“Breast cancer risks start to show up with prolonged stress, the high cortisol levels, the lack of sleep, the low melatonin, the poor appetite, the lack of exercise, etc., but if we improve our lifestyle, keep our hormones balanced… eat the right amount of the right foods (eat the rainbow), get enough sleep in a dark room, stop smoking, eat and drink in moderation, reduce our stress levels…if we do each one of those things on a regular basis…. this is going to decrease your breast cancer risk by half.”
– Dr. David Zava
Podcast: Play in new window | Download Subscribe: RSS
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Show Notes to Episode Seventeen